Putting baby to sleep

There are two types of putting baby to sleep
(1) Out of bliss
(2) Out of exhaustion

For example,

Milk drunk = bliss
Calm, tired, comfortable = bliss

Exhaustion = exhausted from playing
Exhaustion = exhausted from crying

The confinement lady is definitely out of exhaustion from crying

----------------------------------------------

** Key ONE - how to resolve the screaming crying **

Many babies 'fight' sleep by screaming and crying when they know they are put to sleep - even though they are tired, they just cannot sleep - they had to scream and cry

For the first 5.5 months I have been battling how to 'calm' her from that 'screaming cry' peak moment
Just patting / stroking her on the cot NEVER work when she is screaming crying like that
You have to pick her up; AND then
you gotta do the 'big' bouncing movement (less tiring if I bounce her on the gym ball)
That is a type of distraction, something bigger than her screaming crying - and that works
But it is physically tiring for the parents, lower back pain from bouncing on gym ball, painful hands/arms/elbows from hug-locking her

If you leave her in the cot, she will eventually stop her screaming crying but that would be out of exhaustion, exhausted from too much crying - i.e. 'cry it out'

I hug lock her, sometimes I think that 'contributes' to her crying more because face it, that position is not comfortable (but that is what is physically possible for me/the parent to hold and bounce her) and then that is being offset by the bouncing gym ball ('the bigger distraction') to reduce the crying back down

To resolve the screaming crying, there has to be a big distraction, or some soothing motion
In my case, the savior is

(1) White noise
(2) Dummy

White noise gives her that BIG distraction
Dummy gives her that BIG soothing motion

Those two reduces the screaming crying right down, make her in a calm stage, and then

** I finally got it figured out **

----------------------------------------------

** Key TWO - restrict her body movements ** 

I don't know what you call it, whether it is "Startling reflex" or whatnot
My baby definitely wakes up if she moves too much 

The savior is:
(1) Zipadeezip
(2) Sideways sleeping

Zipadeezip is definitely a savior
It is not TOO restrictive like the Kmart white velcro swaddle or the love to dream
So she can still move, but not 100%, she only moved 80% and that 20% of restriction helps her startling reflex
Sometimes just that works
But - if the body movement is still too much, 
Place the baby sideways, it 'locks' her hands and restrict her body movements

----------------------------------------------

The principles still remains:

Suck - dummy
Swaddle - restrict body movement
Sideways - sideways in cot
Ssshh - white noise
Swing  - gym ball

------------------------------------------

When I used to bounce my baby to sleep,  in my heart, I decided that I do not want to sleep train. But I am still open to try other ways.

In my point of view,
'I put baby to sleep in any ways that is physically capable for me to do'
As in, someday if the baby grows too heavy and my hands get sore,
Then I would put her in the cot longer, and let her cry longer
Because my hands just can't do it anymore

That is a sign, to me, that I am taking care of my baby's emotional well being as much as I physically could. If she had to cry because my hands can't take it anymore, then so be it. But at least I have done my best. But thank goodness, I don't have to worry about that anymore. As now my baby is able to fall asleep on her own!  Refer to 'falling asleep on her own' for more details - my take on it and why it worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment