Transitioning to less dependency with boobs

Sleeps longer stretches

15th Dec night - Slept from 8am to 3am, then 5am, then 6:30am awake - so 7 hours stretch
16th Dec night - Slept from 10am to 12 am,  then 4am, then 6:30am awake - so 4 hours stretch
17th Dec night - Slept from 9am to 12:30 am, then 5am - so 4.5 hours stretch

Still so good!! Better than 2-3 hours stretch!

Also not putting baby to sleep via boobs

Started with day-naps,  making sure baby is fed  full with breakfast & morning tea AND lunch (on the same day as Colleen's visit) and Alexis fell asleep without boobs, or needing to be rocked.
This is great because she will go to childcare soon and won't have boobs to put her to nap.

Then it leads to night sleep,  was not deliberate to refuse boobs.  But kind of wanting to stay consistent with the new rules (instinctively, I dont feel forced, just my decision) last night I fed her boobs JUST before putting her to bed (she is still awake and i cut her nails) and she whinges a lot less as she seems to really know the rules.

No boobs during the day

She alluded she wants boobs, but she doesnt protest or get angry as much as before. Again, feels like she seems to really know the rules now. She does however get grumpy, cup empty, and throw SO much things. I try to compensate, lots of solids, cuddles, lots of attention and hugs.

***

My influences - it seems to tick

Jillian said her baby wakes 1-2 each night, and she is exclusively breastfeeding & co-sleeping mother, with baby of the same age

Claire challenges that you don't have to stop breastfeeding entirely to get better sleep at night.  She only limits breastfeeds first thing of day and last thing of day.

Claire asks me to promise her to not resolute with boobs firsthand and try other methods first.

Facebook Sept 2018 mothers posted their schedules so that I can see meal times really varies but also how many other babies really dont feed milk as often.

Jillian encourages to be more confident with our own parenting style,  also introduces books that offers real values.

Reading Janet Lansbury / Magda - about having a real trust with your child, the way you perceive your child matters (she is capable to cope)

Claire shows how to handle baby cry and how Alexis's cry over truck toy dissipates a few seconds after we "hold" her emotions, without trying to distract, compensates, or override - we simply acknowledged.

Re-affirming my own gut instinct in what I think Alexis knows, how I think Alexis is dealing with this, how she reacts to my gradual communication about that I can't always give her boobs, how she gets really angry, and how I try to give dummy makes her even angrier (later I realises "shoving dummy" to shut her up is disrespectful and no wonder she gets angry!).  I just dont believe in cold turkey method.

Colleen suggests how to wean breastfeeding during the day first, and discussed about making sure to give her lots of solids.

My increasing understanding of Alexis  (compares to when she was 4 months) helped me to settle her to sleep with ways other than boobs. When her emotions take over (angry cry rage), the rhytmic bouncing up and down (in this case I bounce on mattress, which helps!) with consistent patting works, back then as 4 months old, and also now.  The duration takes less and less.

No comments:

Post a Comment